Become a Bus Driver
Steps to Become a BCS Bus Driver
***You must be 21 years or older.***
- Create an AIM Account with the Alabama State Department of Education
- Be fingerprinted for background check with Fieldprint.
- Complete an Application for Blount County School Bus Driver.
- Pass a written CDL test. The test may be taken at any local Driver License Dept. You must do this before attending a new driver class. Sections of the test are General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Passenger Endorsement and School Bus Endorsement.
- Get a Learner’s Permit/License. When you pass the written CDL test, you will be issued a Learner’s Permit. The permit will be good for one year. If it lapses before completing the performance test, you must retake all CDL tests. Drivers must have the permit/license 14 days prior to the performance test.
- Complete Entry Level Driver Training through Theory and Behind the Wheel Training. Contact Blount County Schools Transportation Department, 205-850-3001, for online class enrollment.
- Create an account with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse.
- Work with driver trainer at the Bus Shop for Pre-Trip Inspection and driving skills in preparation for the performance test. We recommend that you call and schedule a time to begin practicing at least 1 month before the new driver class. You must complete 10 hours of practice driving before attending the new driver class.
- Attend a 3-day class for new school bus drivers conducted by the State Department of Education. The SDE instructor will give a written and a performance test on the school bus after completion of this course. Call the Bus Shop at 205-850-3001 for the class dates.
- After completing the course and passing the road test, you will be notified when the performance test results are uploaded to the Dept. of Public Safety. You will then go back to the Driver License office and purchase your CDL. We will need a copy of your license to go in your personnel file.
- Take a DOT physical. Blount County Board of Education requires a physical when new drivers complete their training and then every 2 years. You will need to obtain an authorization form from the Bus Shop for the doctor’s office to bill Blount County BOE for your exam.
- Take a pre-employment drug test and sign a consent form to be put in your personnel file agreeing to submit to drug or alcohol testing at any time.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call Becky Cole or Sarah Lauderdale at 205-850-3001.